Head of Marketing
Reports to Managing Director / Owner Tracy McDonnell Goad
Line management responsibilities: Digital Marketing Manager, Websales Executive
Buttermilk are the Treat Trailblazers. Originally an established, much loved traditional fudge manufacturer and brand, in the last 2 years the business has pivoted and launched award-winning, ground breaking plant-powered choccy. We’ve secured listings in all the major retailers, have a reputation as the leaders of innovation in confectionery, and built a brand of inclusivity and being ‘better’.
We have a zero waste policy and are committed to a sustainability strategy that will see us become carbon neutral. And our fans are mainstream – not just those with dietary intolerances. Our choccy is exceptional, and we’re looking for an exceptional Head of Marketing to consolidate our position as the better for you choccy.
- To develop, lead on and implement Buttermilk’s marketing, digital, communications, PR and sustainability strategies.
- To understand and report on consumer, industry and retail market research and analysis, including our sales data, NPD development and growth opportunities.
- To champion our consumers and represent our brand internally and externally.
- As a member of the senior leadership team to lead on the execution of our strategic objectives across the business.
- This is a full-time role though for the right candidate we are open to discussing flexible and remote working. Our kitchens are based in Cornwall, though you don’t need to be. Competitive salary depending on experience, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
You’ll be an exceptional Marketeer – experienced in retail or FMCG but crucially aligned with our vision of creating extraordinary treats without compromise. We’re passionate about sustainable choccy that tastes ‘better’ than the original, and our mission, having secured listings, is to bring this message to millions and millions of people.
You’ll be brimming with ideas to increase brand awareness and activate NPD, and have the energy and expertise to this. You’ll be a dynamic but rigorous leader, used to managing a team / agencies. You are supremely organised with excellent time management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
Area of Responsibilities
- Define and implement the marketing strategy for the organisation, including product development, growth opportunities with existing and new retailer listings / range reviews, and owning our D2C strategy; customer acquisition, retention and loyalty building.
- Create and oversee implementation of the organisations’ annual marketing plans to support business objectives and targets.
- Explore and develop digital opportunities for our websales D2C channel including subscriptions.
- To plan and implement effective marketing communications to promote the brand to relevant target audiences.
- Work with MD and FD to create and manage promotional calendars and campaigns to support NPD activations and product listings at retailers.
- Work with MD to develop and implement our sustainability strategy.
- Manage external agencies to ensure Buttermilk has robust and expanding presence in consumer and trade publications.
- Develop and oversee influencer gifting initiatives, brand ambassador programmes and traditional press campaigns ensuring we are getting maximum coverage in the most cost-efficient manner.
- Driving innovation through messaging and concepts to ensure our brand position as Treat Trailblazer is maintained at all times.
- Oversee team creating social media content strategy based on engagement and growth optimisation.
- Oversee and build micro influencer relationships, gifting initiatives and brand collaborations and take-overs.
- Work with PR agency to manage relationships and performance of brand ambassadors.
- Manage external agencies to develop strategies for and monitor performance of our; paid search, paid social and video campaigns.
- Leading the internal team on all trade, independent and consumer eCRM comms.
- Leading team and third parties on creation of visual assets (photography and videography).
Websales & E-commerce
- Develop and lead on strategy for e-commerce site, including forecasting, acquisition, optimisation of customer experience and loyalty.
- Develop digital products such as subscription service and oversee implementation and fulfillment of all web sales.
Product Development / NPD
- Commission and report on consumer research to understand trends and opportunities for our all year range and seasonal opportunities.
- Commission and report on panelist insight for all stages of NPD pathway; naming, packaging design and size, cost, key messages, etc.
- Lead the cross functional team on the development of packaging and NPD to ensure new developments are executed successfully.
- Oversee team on design, production and distribution of printed items.
- Creation and presentation of slides and internal / external pitches.
- Co-ordinate all promotional, advertising, posters, OOH activity.
Events & Sampling
- Work with commercial team and oversee internal team to create assets for all trade and commercial events.
- Create and implement sampling strategy building brand awareness with our target audiences to support wider growth and activation brand strategy.
- Where necessary use 3rd party agencies or build student ambassador sampling team to develop our brand awareness.
- Complete the frequent marketing updates and monthly board report, looking at key offline and online activities past (and forward), results etc.
- Create and manage departmental budget as well as P&L on retailer accounts for promotional spend.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th September. Interviews w/c 27th September.