A decadent chocolate sponge cake filled with layers of caramel buttercream
A couple of weeks ago we stumbled across Christina from @bakelikeavegan and her magnificent vegan cakes. The recipes were too good not to share, and her mouthwatering vegan chocolate caramel layer cake is decorated with none other than our very own dairy free Salted Caramel Cups.
So grab a your apron and a cup of tea and prepare to be inspired.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
This recipe makes x2 8 inch vegan chocolate cakes but I used x3 6 inch cake tins
60g Cocoa powder
2 tsp Instant coffee granules + 240ml boiling water
350g Self-raising flour
200g Caster sugar
100g Light brown sugar
120ml Soya milk + 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Caramel extract
2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Baking powder
Pinch of salt
Caramel – I use this recipe
250g Vegan butter
500g Icing sugar
2 tbsp caramel
Dairy-free chocolate cups from Buttermilk
- If you haven’t already, make the caramel first by using this recipe – it’s my go-to for vegan caramel and I highly -recommend! Preheat the oven to 180℃ and grease and line x3 deep 6 inch cake tins. Make the cake.
- Boil the kettle. In a bowl combine cocoa powder and coffee granules together and pour over the boiling water. Give a little stir to mix then leave to cool down.
- Add the ACV to the soya milk to create a ‘buttermilk’. Leave to the side.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars in an electric mixer, making sure to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl. It should be fluffy and smooth.
- Then, in another bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the applesauce, caramel extract and chocolate mixture to the buttermilk.
- With the mixer on a low speed start with the dry ingredients and finish with wet, so add a bit of flour then wet then dry and so on until all ingredients are in the same bowl and mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the cake tins and bake for 25-30 mins or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool completely in the tins before removing to a cooling rack.
Decorating your vegan chocolate cake
- Meanwhile make the buttercream. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and continue to mix, making sure to scrape down the sides every now and then.
- Once you have added all of the icing sugar, add the caramel and mix again. To assemble the cakes, pipe or spread some of the buttercream onto one layer, add a dollop of caramel, then add the second layer of cake and repeat. With the final cake layer, add buttercream to the top and all around the sides.
- I usually do a crumb coat first, then chill in the fridge until firm to touch then covering in buttercream again. I piped more swirls on top, then added the chocolate caramels and a big dollop of caramel in the middle.
- You can decorate this cake as you wish or follow my instructions, it will be delicious whatever you do! Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge or covered at room temperature. Enjoy!